For those who read my post on 10 things I’m looking forward to in February, you read about World Kindness Day. Today, I’m sharing how you can easily celebrate World Kindness Day this year. Here are 17 ways to celebrate this (very necessary) holiday.
1. Write a thank-you note for your mailman.
It’s always nice to send extra appreciation for the man who delivers your mail every day.
2. Leave a kind note in a public bathroom.
Write “You’re beautiful” on post-it notes and leave them in public places for people to read. You’ll make people smile for days to come.
3. Plant a tree.
Why wait until Arbor Day? If the weather is nice where you live in February, go plant a tree. The world could definitely use it.
4. Pay for the person’s coffee behind you in line.
This is the best surprise to receive. What’s an extra few dollars to cheer up a person?
5. Volunteer in your community (soup kitchen, education program, etc.)
However you decide to volunteer, make sure it’s something that’s important to you.
6. Pick up garbage in your local park.
You won’t believe how much garbage is in your neighborhood or park. Take an hour to walk and pick up trash.
7. Donate old items you don’t need.
Why not start spring cleaning early! Go through your closet to get rid of old clothes, books and shoes to donate.
8. Shovel your neighbor’s driveway.
Especially if they are an older couple, they would definitely appreciate the help. Plus, it’s a good workout for you!
9. Leave a generous tip for a waitress.
Don’t forget to leave a nice note on the check to accompany the kind tip.
10. Send flowers to a friend.
What better way to share love and kindness than sending flowers to a friend? Especially if they have been going through a rough time recently.
11. Write a card or a hand-written note to a loved one.
Think of a relative you haven’t talked to recently, and write up a hand-written note saying you’re thinking of them and wishing them well.
12. Compliment several people throughout the day.
Make sure they are genuine compliments. It’s the easiest way to spread kindness; and it’s the easiest easy way to give someone a boost of confidence.
13. Leave $2 in an envelope for someone to use at the vending machine.
Maybe someone will be a dime short on a bottle of water. It might also inspire continuous kindness throughout the day.
14. Walk dogs at your local pet shelter.
You won’t regret this. Just try not to adopt them all at once (Trust me, I know it’s tempting).
15. Donate blood.
If you can donate blood, it’s a great way to give back to people who need it most.
16. Babysit your friend’s children for free.
Anyone who has children will appreciate this more than you know. Give up a free evening so your friends can enjoy a night out.
17. Hold open the door for the person behind you.
It’s a simple gesture and takes two minutes of your time. Give a warm smile, as well! It will instantly make their day.
What other ways can you celebrate World Kindness Day? Make sure to leave your suggestions in the comments below!